A clean environment is possible
- 28 Sep
- Hits: 799
Creating a clean, safe and healthy environment is possible, especially if all stakeholders come on board and play their part towards this worthy cause. A clean environment has high aesthetic value, provides various environmental benefits and is free from diseases. Such an environment is achievable through concerted effort.
Who can do what?
- Adopt the cradle to the grave principle, which refers to the responsibility a company takes for the entire life cycle of a product, service or program, from design to disposal or termination.
- Ensure there are sufficient waste receptacles servicing your premises.
- Maintain the frontage, back corridors and sanitary lanes of you work premises clean at all times.
- As part of your Corporate Social Responsibility, you can donate branded bins to Local Authorities. This will serve a dual purpose; it acts as a way of advertising and at the same time assists in the provision of bins.
- Organize regular clean ups to keep shopping centres, business premises and working areas clean and attractive to customers.
- Set up cages to collect recyclable cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles etc. Sell all recyclable material to recycling companies.
- Food outlets should sell their food leftovers to piggeries or individuals with pets.
- Adopt’ zones in your city/town and maintain it clean on a regular basis. The zone can be a street, round about, island, business/shopping center and bus termini. Approach your Local Authority on the adoption of zones.
- Corporates should have waste management plans and policies to ensure sustainable waste management at their workplaces and also in the business value chain.