- Hits: 9413
Number 3 Hellet Street
Box 425, Masvingo
Tel: (039) 264056 / 262776
Fax : 262058
Coordinates: 21”00’S 31”00”E
Physical address of Office
28 CHIVI GROWTH POINT, CHIVI
DA'S CAMP MWENEZI
0772 785 463
424 ROAN DRIVE, CHIREDZI
STD 201 ZAKA RDC COMPLEX, JERERA
OLD COUNCIL OFFICES, BIKITA BUSINESS CENTER
0773 479 756
STD 4278, GUTU
Overview of the Province
Masvingo Province is located in the south east part of Zimbabwe and comprises of eight districts namely; Masvingo, Gutu, Chivi, Mwenezi, Chiredzi, Zaka and Bikita.
- Masvingo province is located in the lowveld of Zimbabwe. It has minimal rainfall patterns.
- Large part of the province is drought prone for example Region 5.
- Most parts are unfit for agriculture, apart from cattle ranching.
- Average rainfall received in the province is about 600mm/a
Altitude and Temperature
The altitude of the district ranges from 450m (Nyajena CA) to 1240m (Victoria East) above sea level. Average annual temperature is about 20 degrees Celsius
- The soils in the region are fersiallitic type.
- The terrain in the district ranges from moderate to steep slopes.
- In areas where slopes are high, soils are shallow and are of poor texture, the potential for erosion hazards exist.
Major land use
- Sewer-sewage disposal in Masvingo and Chiredzi town
- Veld fires- especially in Gutu district
- Deforestation-all over the district
- Siltation-such as in Mucheke river
- Pollution (water)-such as in Shagashe river, resulting in water hyacinth problems.
- Land pollution-litter in Masvingo town and all growth points in the district.
- Invasive Allien Species (Lantana Camara and Water Hyacinth) in Masvingo and Gutu
- Wetland destruction in Gutu and Masvingo
- illegal mining
- Gulleys and stream bank cultivation