Masvingo - Provincial Office
Number 3 Hellet street
Box 425, Masvingo
Tel: (039) 264056 / 262776
Fax : 262058
Coordinates: 21”00’S 31”00”E
- Masvingo province is located in the lowveld of Zimbabwe. It has minimal rainfall patterns.
- Large part of the province is drought prone for example Region 5.
- Most parts are unfit for agriculture, apart from cattle ranching.
- Average rainfall received in the province is about 600mm/a
Altitude and Temperature
The altitude of the district ranges from 450m (Nyajena CA) to 1240m (Victoria East) above sea level. Average annual temperature is about 20 degrees Celsius
- The soils in the region are fersiallitic type.
- The terrain in the district ranges from moderate to steep slopes.
- In areas where slopes are high, soils are shallow and are of poor texture, the potential for erosion hazards exist.
Major land use
- Sewer-sewage disposal in Masvingo and Chiredzi town
- Veld fires- especially in Gutu district
- Deforestation-all over the district
- Siltation-such as in Mucheke river
- Pollution (water)-such as in Shagashe river, resulting in water hyacinth problems.
- Land pollution-litter in Masvingo town and all growth points in the district.